Illustration by Stacie Swift
Baby Mamas, you’re doing a great job! The truth is, parenting is hard, and some days you feel on top of the world and the next you don’t feel like you can do anything right. But it’s completely normal, and it’s OK to not feel OK everyday. We all have struggles, but we all know that we’re doing the best job that we can!
For the days when everything gets on top of you, we have your back with these 30 self care tips for you to practice. You’ll be feeling like the shiniest version of yourself in no time!
1.Take a 20-30 minute nap – use your little ones down time for a chance to grab some sleep too. 20 minutes is all you need to feel recharged.
2.Tea and biscuits. Life’s simplest pleasures and let yourself enjoy every bite for a few minutes of peace and down time.
3.Watch your favourite programme. Nothing can transform your mood and how you’re feeling faster than watching an old favourite show that you know will make you laugh/love/enjoy!
4.Face mask time. A little pamper will have you feeling fresher in less than 10 minutes. Buy a sachet for a one use mask or invest in your favourite mask that you can call on when you need a pick me up.
5.Have a cuddle. Whether you’re cuddling your little ones, your partner or a family member, a cuddle is the quickest way to let yourself engulf that warm, safe and fuzzy feeling.
6.Get outside. A brisk walk in the countryside, park or by the sea is the best way to clear your head and feel good about yourself. Exercise will get those feel good endorphins pumping in no time.
7. Take a long hot bath. Get the bubbles forming and drop a bath bomb in and relax for as long as you need. It doesn’t need to be the winter to enjoy a good soak.
8. Buy some fresh flowers. Better yet, get some bought for you!
9. Practice gratitude. Think of 5 things that you are grateful for before you go to sleep and when you wake up think of 5 things you’re looking forward to that day.
10.Have a picnic in the park. Invite your friends, bring the children and get some yummy food, sunny weather optional!
11. Create a safe place that you can come to when you need a little bit of comfort, it could be a cosy area in your living room, a seat by the window or your own secret den. That place is yours to go to when you need it.
12. Buy your favourite treats. Head to the shop and stock up on your favourite goodies, healthy or naughty treats, you can then reach for them next time you need something comforting.
13.Plan a holiday or weekend getaway. There’s nothing better than having something to look forward to.
14. Put on a pair of clean PJs and climb into freshly washed sheets. Best nights sleep ever!
15.Light candles. They’ll transport you to a haven of hygge quicker than you can light them.
16.Listen to your favourite feel good songs.
17.Get outside in the sun and soak up the rays, doesn’t sunshine make everything better? Don’t forget your SPF!
18.Declutter your home. A tidy space, a tidy mind. Start small like clearing out your clothes or the ‘junk drawer’, it will make you feel so much better.
19.Have a date night. It’s not always as easy when you have children to think about, but schedule at least one date night a month, that time with your partner is so important.
20. Meditate or practice yoga.
21.Read a book. Read a favourite book or get lost in the pages of some new literature. It’s the best escape from daily life!
22.Check in with yourself regularly and your emotions.
23. Eat well. Cook yourself a healthy, wholesome meal, even when you’d rather be reaching for the local takeaway menu.
24.Wear comfortable clothing. Especially when you’ve just had a new baby, don’t feel the pressure to fit straight back into your old clothes, you probably will wear maternity clothes for a little while after giving birth. Keep yourself comfortable and everything else will come in time, you don’t want anything irritating or rubbing your sore bits either.
25. Keep in regular contact with your friends and family, knowing you have the support as and when you need it is everything you’ll need to help you get through.
26.Give yourself a manicure and pedicure.
27.Have a digital detox for a day, week or longer. Especially in the early days after your baby has been born, use the time to immerse yourself into life as a new mum without any distractions. The newborn bubble is the best.
28.Forgive others and move on. Holding onto bad feelings only hurts yourself, just let go and rise above it.
29.Do something that brings you happiness. Dance around your house, go swimming, head to the cinema or whatever you like! It’s so important to still make time for yourself even when you have a little one around.
30. Remember that you aren’t alone in this. Join mother and baby clubs to get to know new mums in the local area and continue to reach out to the ones you love. You’re doing your best job and that’s all the matters, we’re all here to help when you need it!